Sunday, September 30, 2007

Maui...An Unforgettable Visit

People from all over the world travel to Maui for a hundred different reasons including it's white sandy beaches, crystal clear blue water, and absolutely gorgeous sunsets. But we had one very special reason that tops them all. We went to Maui so that Mateo could meet Nana, his very own great grandmother! Nana got very sick about 1 year ago so I have to admit that it was very hard for me to see her in that condition. At times I had to leave the room because I didn't want her to see me crying. But, I praise God that my son was not only able to meet her, but got tons of kisses and heard her say "I love you".

Nana...Happy 85th Birthday! We love you too!!!





While on the island of Maui we also enjoyed the sights. We visited Lahaina where we saw one of the largest banyan trees in the world. The tree was so big Papa still can't believe it was just 1 tree.





On Wednesday, Papa, Mama, Cherry and Dan braved the 56 mile, windy, turn after turn drive to Hana. Since I was well aware that the drive was going to be difficult I popped 2 dramamines before hitting the road. Good thing I did because the drive was just as difficult as I remember it from almost 20 years ago. But, it was definitely worth it. Hana is breathtaking.

A quick picture as we pulled off to the side of the road.



One of the main attractions in Hana is the "7 Sacred Pools". People go there to swim under waterfalls and jump off of cliffs into the natural pools. However, when we arrived we discovered that there was absolutely no swimming allowed due to the high water levels. We were totally bummed but at least we got to see them and be in awe of God's beautiful creation. Also, it gives us a reason to go back one day. Maybe that will be when Mateo is old enough to brave the drive with us.



Meanwhile, Mateo spent the day with Grandpa, Grandma and Uncle Phil. They enjoyed God's creation on different parts of the island.

Relaxing at Paia Beach...





Hanging out with Uncle Phil at Iao Valley...



Thursday night we said our goodbyes to Grandpa, Grandma, and Uncle Phil. The next time we see them will be Mateo's 1st birthday which is just 1 month away! We headed back to Honolulu where we stayed 1 more night before going home to Portland. For our last night in Hawaii we stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki. The hotel was beautiful, centrally located, and right on the beach. So, Friday morning we took advantage of our last day and had fun at the beach one last time.





Unfortunately, the flight back did not go nearly as well as the flight over. Next time we will definitely plan to fly in the morning as that is the time when Mateo takes the best naps. But, more importantly we got home safely.

Can't wait to see what God has in store for us on our next family vacay!

2 comments:

grandmanida said...

It was a memorable vacation..one that will linger in our memories forever. Mateo made it special. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. Saying goodbye was difficult. We miss you all

lolapearl said...

we must visit each of the 7 sacred pools when we go there next year...that would be awesome!!!i can't wait to jump into the falls!!!!!!!'til november!!